Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Silly Songs



My brothers name is Rendal, so through the years we have been called Ren and Bren. We had a music store once called “Ren and  Bren House of Music” we taught piano and guitar lessons, sold sheet music and LP albums . The younger generation doesn’t know what LP records are…….my grand-daughter, Shelby came in my house  several years ago and saw a stack of LP albums. She picked one up and said “Wow, that’s a BIG CD !!!!”
Ren has written several hundred gospel songs and you can hear lots of his music on renrutledge.com .
 There were a couple times that we were called upon to entertain and we had to come up with a song for the occasion.
First Baptist Church in Pine Bluff, Arkansas  invited up to sing at a banquet. They wanted a song to go with the theme of the party so we came up with the Jupiter Blues. Ren played the bass and I played the accordion.
We got a standing ovation after singing this song.


THE JUPITER BLUES
Oh I'm so blue
So Blue
I've got the Juuuuuuuupiter blues
Oh I'm so blue
So blue
I've got the Juuuuuuuupiter blues


Ren - I thought I could make it without her
Bren - Oh please won't you come back to me
Ren - I thought I could go on, but now I'm all alone
 Ren/Bren - And nothing in this universe can satisfy me


We were invited to entertain at the the Coon Hunter
Association annual fund raising Coon supper in
Gillett, Arkansas, and Ren wrote this song just 
before we got up to sing.
Coon Hunters
Coon hunters,  coon hunters
You can’t beat the life of a coon hunter
Sleeping in the day time, hunting at nigh
There is nothing like a coon……..hunter
I can’t remember the verses, but it was a big hit that night.


Another time I was needing a song for a talent contest in Cahokia High School. I was in the 9th grade. We came up with this song to the tune of  “My Bonnie “  We won!!!!!

My Neighbors
Last night as I lay on my piller
Last night as I lay on my bed
I stuck my big feet out the winder
Next morning my neighbors were dead

Bring back, Bring back, oh bring back my neighbors to me, to me
Bring back, Bring back, oh bring back my neighbors to me.

I’m sorry  I’m rid of my neighbors
I don’t think they thought much of me
And if I had it to do over
I think that I might wash my feet.

Radio Days
In the late 60’s and early 70’s Ren had a job playing music at KADL radio station in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I wanted to be just like my big brother, so he helped me get a job on Sunday afternoons playing gospel music at KPBA radio. We were both on air at the same time. Ren called me on the phone once and told me what record he was playing next, so I played the same thing….we were trying to confuse the listening audience Later I left KPBA and went over to KADL, and on Sundays we had the
 “Ren and Bren Gospel Show” It was just  a regular work day for Ren, but for me it was a very special time of my life, and I was having lots of fun.
.

Reply:

No comments: