Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Polio has Brenda



Today’s story is written about me by my brother Ren…………


I remember the morning when my sister, Brenda would not wake up. I tried to shake her to wake her up for breakfast, but there was no response. I was only 8 years old. After calling for my mom and dad to see what was wrong with Brenda they also became alarmed. Brenda could not move and there was almost no sign of life. She was taken to Davis hospital in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I will never forget the sad look on my father's face as he wept in our home for several days. Brenda had polio. In fact the doctor told our family that not only does Brenda have polio..."Polio has Brenda..." I remember crying as I went to visit my neighbors. Brenda and I had spent many days with the Browns down the street from where we lived, because my dad and mom were often busy in Church work and the Browns were good neighbors with children that we enjoyed spending time with. When they asked about Brenda, I broke down and cried as I told them how I found her that morning and how she could not talk or move.

I will never forget the knock on the door a few days later as brother T Richard Reed came to our home. He did not know about the situation with Brenda, but Brother Reed had been driving on a trip and was passing through Little Rock when he felt the leading of the Lord to go check on our family. When my father went to the door brother Reed met him with a smile. My father had not changed clothes or shaved for several days. All he would do was walk the floor crying and praying about Brenda. Brother Reed stood there with a smile on his face as the door opened. He saw the condition of my dad and asked what was wrong. As my father started weeping and talking to brother Reed between sobs I saw brother Reed push him back, and I heard him say with a strong voice, "Brother Rutledge get hold of yourself we serve a big God and he is able to heal Brenda...." Brother Read told my father to go take a bath and change clothes..." About an hour later they both left the house dressed in suits on their way to a small Church where a precious group of black friends were having service. My Father and brother Reed walked into the Church in the middle of service and my father cried out in desperation to these good people. He asked them to please call on God for his little girl. The preacher closed his Bible and got down on his knees. All the congregation went to their knees and started weeping and calling on the name of Jesus.

A few days later my mother was at the foot of the bed at the Davis Hospital praying and calling on the name of Jesus when she heard a sound behind her. The voice of a little girl was calling for her mother. When mom turned around she saw Brenda standing up in the middle of the bed with a smile on her face and heard her asking for a coke.

Mom called to the nurses, and when they came they saw what was going on and called for the doctor...

When Doctor Robinette came into the room Brenda was walking around drinking a coke and the Doctor said to all present..."There was nothing we could do...but a higher power came into this room and did this work...."

Polio had been taken from Brenda's little body and she was completely well and able to return home. Here we are more than 50 years later and Brenda still has her testimony. She has never been bothered by polio again in any way. God took polio out of Brenda's life and gave her a new life. Today Brenda has a beautiful healthy family. God has been good to Brenda and the Rutledge family.

Written with happy tears.
Ren Rutledge

No comments: