Blog Archive

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Radio Program Blooper

This picture of (Ren and Bren) was taken in the late 60's. We were both a lot slimmer back then.
Dad was pastor of The Apostolic Church at 6th and Dakota street in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and had a daily radio program on KADL called "Christ is The Answer". We spent many hours helping dad with the radio program. Ren arranged the theme song ...here are the words.

( Oh, Christ....is the answer, if you'll trust in Him, He'll make a way....He will lift you up He'll share your load. Heal the sick, and I know.....Christ is the answer, Christ is the answer, Christ is the answer for you.)

Dad worked really hard every evening to make sure he had a good program ready for the next day. He recorded mostly on reel to reel tape recorder, then eventually moved to cassette tapes.
I remember one day I was listening to the radio, and I began singing on the program....it didn't sound too good. It sounded like I was screaming, and I was singing "He'll Make Things Right" the longer I sang the worse I sounded. Dad heard it also, but he was on the highway headed north going fishing, and back then there were no cell phones. We were both yelling at the radio "WRONG TAPE!!!!!!  YOU GOT THE WRONG TAPE!!!!. There was nothing we could do, I was singing my heart out but it wasn't coming across very good on radio. It was a live recording and people were rejoicing in the service, dad was saying things that normally would not have been on the broadcast mainly because people would not understand. I was home wondering how this could have happened, and dad was trying his best to get back to the radio station. About the time it sounded like the song was ending, and I'm thinking "well, the worst is over" I heard dad say " SING IT AGAIN!!!!!!" and it started all over.
Later, we laughed about how it all happened, but you can rest assured from then on, dad double-checked the tape before he left it at the radio station.

Brenda Rutledge Casteel

1 comment:

Joy Hamby said...

I was in the car with dad the day this blooper broadcast took place.
We sat in the car just waiting on the program to start before going fishing. The john boat was ready and all we had to do was scoot it off the bank.
As soon as the program began...Dad made this groaning noise. Didn't know what was wrong at first and then he yelled "It's the wrong tape!!!"
We were too far away to do anything about it...so we sat and listened.
Dad was silent through most of the program until Bren finished her song and then he said "Sing it again Bren!" With that remember dad just putting his head down on the steering wheel and saying they got the wrong tape! After that we listened to his message...which was also the wrong one!
I thought it was pretty funny and the look on dads face was priceless!!
When the program ended, we went fishing and then laughed about it later. Dad was always good about that. I remember having a very fun day fishing!